reaching

Saturday, August 7, 2010 | |



"One thing that never ceases to amaze me, along with the growth of vegetation from the earth and of hair from the head, is the growth of understanding."




We sliced ventilation flaps in the greenhouse after Rob first built the structure. We knew we needed circulation, room for air to flow in and out. Space and freedom and a portal to the "outside world".

As the season progressed, we realized we needed bigger flaps. We made larger holes, opened the greenhouse door for longer periods of time, allowing more air to circulate, inviting new visitors to come inside.

Eventually, the entire top half of the greenhouse was exposed, larger flaps cut into the bottom section.



And vines and flowers and budding veggies reached and crawled to those flaps. The stems and stalks of plants, sturdy yet unguided, sprawled outwards. Growing with intrigue, moving upwards and sideways, not knowing their next direction of growth, but stretching and occupying and filling out every square inch opened to them.

And when I think about making my own air flaps in my soul, I see how I, without intention or motive or thought, have grown out of any crack in my defenses I have afforded myself. I have twisted and climbed and snaked my way through the tiniest of open spaces.

I have closed my eyes momentarily only to open them and see pieces of my insides dangling from my sleeve yet attached firmly to their roots ... and wow, that's beautiful. The parts of me that I let grow without guidance or training or boundary or purpose. The parts of me that found their way out, reaching for air and light and more.open.space

And then there you are. The onlooker, the gazer, the "stop and smell the flower" sniffer. The "look how beautiful this thing is" exclaimer. The encourager, the silent smiler, the "I want to grow one too" realizer.

And all the little pieces dangling from my sleeve shine brighter. They stand crooked and twisted yet sturdy. They keep growing without intent, but beaming with energy. Bursting with unbridled eagerness to fill out more space and time. They find new cracks to pry open. They encourage new seeds to be planted. And they dig deeper and feel healthier in the rain.

So, make some new air flaps. See what starts growing, without you even knowing.



0 comments: